Saturday, October 12, 2013

Commitment Anxiety

I'm not sure what my problem is with this journal page I've started.  I know what I want to do and generally how I want to do it.  But for some reason, I'm having trouble gluing the parts down!

I started by putting some painters tape down the center of the page, then used a palette knife to place a smooth layer of white gesso on the left.  I pressed an old book page onto the gesso, rubbed it down, then tore it off before it could dry completely, leaving some reversed text there.

I then took a magazine page with a face on it, and traced part of the face on tracing paper.
I cut the magazine page in half but have not glued it to the journal page yet.
The tracing paper part of the face will go over the text.
What I plan to do is paint some details on the back of the tracing paper before gluing it down, and will paint more on the top of the tracing paper once it is glued. But for some reason, I'm having trouble thinking through the negative and positive, the reverse painting, etc.  I think I'm intimidated by the eye.  I'm not very good with painting eyes.  Don't be surprised if she ends with with a flower over her eye, or a patch!
 
Maybe I'm just thinking too much...
 

No comments: