Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Meanwhile, back at the Persimmon Tree

I haven't forgotten my nature studies from the summer.  And I haven't forgotten my plans for a nature book of the sketches and photos.  I just got temporarily side-tracked.  (And if you know me at all, you know my middle name is Side-Tracked... and thankfully a lot of you also have that middle name and totally relate!)

I have tried over the past couple of months to get pictures of the persimmon tree in its various stages.  Unfortunately, there was a lot of rain during the time it had green leaves and green fruit, so I didn't get pictures of that stage.  I have some new pictures of the branches, plus used some older pictures from a couple of years ago for my sketchbook.

I used two sizes of punchinella for the page backgrounds.



 I had a really great quote about persimmons, but that scrap of paper has disappeared somewhere, and I'll have to search the internet again to try and find it.  In the meantime, I grabbed the comments my friend Jan made about persimmons and how her dad cut open the seeds to see what shape was revealed and thus what kind of winter was ahead.
But I still don't eat the persimmons.  Too much trouble, I say!!

5 comments:

alexa said...

I really like that punched effect!

Maria Ontiveros said...

I was just thinking about the class when I went for a walk in the forest today. Happy to see your sketches.
Rinda

gaye said...

I like everything you did however, my favorite is the ruler under the fruit pic.

letterlady said...

Wow! I love that I made it into your journal! Love your photos! Hahaha My 'prove you're not a robot' security for this is 411 (information) oreoking. Oreo King!

j.La said...

Well, it's all about persimmons! I had my first one last week when a friend invited me for dinner. It was baked into a dessert. it couldn't really taste it! But I very much like your pages, especially the punchinella backgrounds and your leaf drawing. I had no Idea that you could tell the winter ahead by the shape of the persimmon seeds. Lovely information!