Saturday, October 26, 2013

Structure

As a rule, well, I don't like to live by too many rules... I especially don't like rules when it comes to making art.  But for some reason, I seem to be jumping all over the place lately.  I felt like I needed to settle down, focus on something, try to reign it in a little.

I decided to get Pam Carriker's new book when I saw that it was 30 days of lessons, with a completed journal at the end.  It appeared that I had most of the supplies for most of the lessons, and she gives alternatives to the supplies I don't have. 

Loved the first lesson, mixing watercolors and making a color wheel on a coffee filter. However, I really didn't care for the look of the colors I mixed myself, so I used my old Prang set, with its bright vibrant colors, and made a second wheel.  I didn't care much for my second page either - it just seems too drab and dark. 
But I'm forging ahead anyway.  It's for me, it's not going on exhibit or anything...  What I really DID like is the scrap paper from when I painted my color wheel.  The color bled through the coffee filter and made a really great secondary wheel.  I put extra pages in my journal when I made it, and I think this will go in the journal at some point. 
This is the book - it looks a whole lot like her first book, but has the word "creating" at the top.  I think I'll enjoy doing this, even though it has taken me 7 days to complete one and one-half lessons!


No comments: