Thursday, September 23, 2010

Happy WEG

They have talked about it for years, and the time is finally here.  The World Equestrian Games, just up the road in Lexington, Kentucky.  Check out that corn maze people will see from their arriving airplanes.  The horses arrive in airplanes too, but I don't think they have a window seat.

I'll admit, I don't know much about equestrian games.  I just know it is like the Olympics except its for horses.  Competitors come from all over the world.  And they have events that sound cool, but I don't know what they actually are.  Like "Dressage".  I think I'd like to compete in Dressage... it sounds like dress-up, but I'm sure it's more complicated than that.  I know Lyle Lovett has a horse in the Reining event.  I know William Shatner (yes, Captain Kirk) has interests in some event.  (Yes, my knowledge is very vague.) 

Actually, there's a lot online to help the spectators who need to know what the events are and how to act.  Most of it is like golf - quiet, please, when the event is in progress.  They describe the object of dressage as "the development of the horse into a happy athlete through harmonious education".  Vaulting is like gymnastics on horseback.  That sounds dangerous.

I know there are a lot of art exhibits and events.  If I lived closer, I might pop in, but I don't.  It should be exciting over there, though.  And in these economic times, what state doesn't need a big influx of tourist dollars to help with the budget.  So come on down.  Spend your money.  This is the land of horses, whiskey and genteel women!

4 comments:

Maureen Reynolds said...

That is one helluva maze! Gorgeous. I have no interest in horses, whiskey and am a relatively genteel woman myself or so I say, but I know tourism dollars are important to state's finances. Hope KY gets a lot of those horsey spenders.

gaye said...

Connie gets to go to hear the Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra with Maestro Gustavo Dudamel. Her son is their agent. She is really excited about going. Supposedly tickets never went on sale. Only the sponsers got them. Lucky Connie

Pat said...

oooooh, how wonderful!!!

paula:) said...

That is sooo coool. Can't wait to show Paige and my mom. They are going to the equestrian games. I think they are going to the dressage and the jumping. Tickets range from $40-$120 an event. wow huh? they are both SO excited to be going. Me? well I will be waving goodbye to them. I'd rather be making a book or soldering a new piece.