Thursday, May 24, 2012

Rent a Yurt

In all the years I have lived on planet Earth, I don't believe I have ever thought to myself "I'd like to rent a yurt."  I guess I didn't know you could rent a yurt.  But once the idea is in your head, it kind of rattles around in there.  So I made a journal page and now maybe I can get some peace!


It started with an article in the travel section of the paper last month.  It featured yurts for rent at the Tibetan Mongolian Buddhist Cultural Center in Bloomington, Indiana.  Since I often daydream about running away from home and renting a cabin/room/cottage at the lake/mountains/beach (it varies), this really caught my eye.

I made a list of pros and cons on my journal page.  Pros included the fact that it is just a few hours' drive from me.  It's cheap.  The yurts, while rustic, have air conditioning, heat, and a microwave.  They are in a peaceful rustic setting.  One of the things on the list of "cons" includes sleeping on a futon.  Not sure if a bad back can handle that.  The other "con" is simply ants.  The article says that there is a sign in the nearby dining hall regarding the abundance of ants.  Being a peaceful people who believe every living thing has a purpose, the monks allow the ants to exist.  I am also a peaceful, non-violent person, but I feel sure I would be the first person ever to be evicted from a yurt for rolling up a newspaper and smacking a few ants.  I have limits.  Sharing a table with ants is not on my list of things to do.  (The article also mentions that there is a Wendy's fast food place two miles down the road.)

If you feel the need to get your yurt on, info can be found here.  And if you do a search online, there are more yurts to rent than you might ever imagine, maybe even one close to you.

5 comments:

letterlady said...

ROFL. I believe I'd be evicted for carrying Terro with me. Ants. Yuck! And I'll bet mosquitoes and ticks are protected varmints there too.

gaye said...

I'm just shaking my head. Where Does your mind wander to?

J.La said...

There's a yurt just up the road from us, should the urge to travel to Alaska overcome you. Pros, tiny moose, cooler temps, we're just down the road. Cons, none!

Carol P said...

Hi Pat,
Just a heads up on something happening in July (I think around the 20th) in Nashville, IN. Dina Wakely is scheduled to teach at Wishful Thinking. All of the details aren't worked out yet but you and Gaye and others may be interested so I just wanted to let you know ASAP in case you want to watch for the details. Dina has it posted on her teaching schedule with more details to follow. Maybe you can rent that "yurt" in Bloomington and get some artistic fun at the same time.
Hope all is well with you!

Pat said...

Carol! Thank you for the head's up. I'll definitely watch for details. I would never have known if you had not alerted me. Hope to see you there!