Tuesday, March 27, 2012

No 61 - Restraining Order

Last month, I posted my journal page for Michelle Ward's monthly challenge #60.  I decided to go for #61 this month as well - Restraining Order.  The challenge is to hold back, don't feel like you have to fill up the Entire Page.  Try to restrain your instinct to add more and more to the composition.

I figured this challenge would be a piece of cake for me.  After all, when I try those techniques of adding layer on layer on layer, I always stop after the first layer or two because I like the beginning part so much that I don't want to cover it up.  But I was wrong about this being easy this month.

I was feeling all festive and spring-like, so I started with some different greens to put background color on the double page spread.

I went through the pile of scraps nearby from my stenciling and spraying.  I knew I wanted to use some of the papers on the page, but I didn't want it to look like I was using "too much", so I used my left-over green paints to paint the white graph papers where I had blotted my stencils.  My reasoning was that if my page looked too busy, maybe the fact that most of the papers were painted with the same colors would tone it down a bit.
This is the double page spread I ended up with.  The meditating rabbit is from a sales ad for Pier One.  I've been saving him for something, but I didn't know what.  He just makes me smile.  On the right side are torn painted papers, plus words I lettered.  The cake words are from gift wrap paper.

The lettered words really got lost, so I did outline them to make them stand out a little.  I felt it really helped, and therefore didn't feel guilty about taking that extra step and not restraining myself.  But where I couldn't help myself is the dots in the upper left corner and the bottom right (made with a double ended dauber thing).  What I Really wanted to do was grab the punchinella and go crazy making patterns around the blank spaces.  But I did practice restraint and only made a few dots on each page. 

I was surprised just how hard it was to Not fill in the empty spaces.  But the way I look at it, if the pages had a lot more stuff on them, Mr. Rabbit wouldn't be able to meditate very well.

See Michelle's challenge here and see the sidebar on the left where she has posted links to the participants' responses.  Even though Michelle is going to take a break from the challenges, there are lots and lots of past challenges to glean ideas from if you are so inclined.  Lots of great artwork to absorb! 

 So go...  reflect...  ponder...  eat cake.

13 comments:

michelle ward said...

Pat, I love this spread. Great colors, so subtle and subdued, just the right thing for a meditating bunny. I'm wondering what he's contemplating....maybe leaving all the black jelly beans for me? I love hearing that you were saving him and finally used him...the restraint offers a terrific stage. Thanks for admitting that it was indeed a challenge to hold back. Many of us have been feeling that way. So glad you came back to play with us!

PocketSize said...

Fabulous! I love green, especially in spring time. It really is hard to hold back, sometimes. I'm glad you succeeded in doing so, because this looks beautiful just the way it is!

gaye said...

Your page is wonderful. Love Mr. Rabbit. I like the simplicity of it. I agree, it is really hard to know when to stop. You did good.

Michele R. Unger said...

I think you have proven the maxim that less is more! What a stunningly beautiful spread.

Cath Sheard said...

This is so cool - I love the bunny. He's so calm somehow.
I always enjoy my "end of month, and the newspaper's finished blog cruise 'n comment" time. It's been lovely to meet you and your work via the Crusades. Thanks for sharing what you do with everyone. May the rest of 2012 be filled with creative happiness for you.

Michelle said...

Love the green!! Great layout!

Karenliz Henderson said...

Love, love your pages. Very calming.

TJ said...

I love the text you chose to pair up with the bunny. It's like he has to meditate and strengthen up to deliver all those eggs next week!

What a beautiful interpretation of the Crusade, it is SO hard to stop filling the page. Thanks for sharing!!
Best wishes, tj

Terri Corona said...

LOVE your pages. Greens are always beautiful and soothing, and the rabbit is definitely deserving of not having to fight to be the focal point.

J.La said...

The bunny makes me smile, too! You've created the perfect space for him to meditate. I love your lettered words. Great page overall! Heavenly greens!

Diana Taylor said...

Beautiful, beautiful pages - the bunny really stands out as something special and I really love the tranquil, calm feel of both pages. Stunning work

Daphne said...

I so love your pages. They are calming, and a rabbit for the season! Lovely green space.

Karen Isaacson said...

those monochromatic papers are such a great way to add interest and layers and still show restraint. It has such a calming feel to it. at a glance I could easily read the words reflect and ponder. It's only as you zoomed in that I saw the words "eat cake" and it cracked me up. love the whole thing.