How can you make nature prints without going outside? I'll tell you. I'll try not to be too long-winded.
I guess these are technically called EcoPrints, and I've admired what others are doing for a long time. I have India Flint's book Eco Colour, I've read blog posts by her students, I've admired photos. I knew for a fact, though, that as much as I liked the results I was seeing, there were too many obstacles for me to do that. It took too many ingredients that I don't have. It took days to see the results. I don't do well with waiting that long. Most of what they were doing was on fabric (although I'm happy to see more on paper lately). The results are very detailed and vibrant with all the right ingredients though.
On my backburner list of things to do, I wanted to try these techniques on paper. I wanted it to be quick. I even bought a recent issue of Pages magazine, which had an article on Boiled Books. It looked like we were closing in on something more my speed.
Then I was catching up on some blog reading and saw what Diana Trout has been doing. Rather than go into detail, go to her blog and look at some of the posts from August and September. I especially found the guest post there helpful by Jeanne Handley McLaughlin.
Still, though, having found this faster method, I knew I had to work this weekend and didn't have time to start something like this. But my mind was going gangbusters, wanting to try it. And that's how I ended up tossing and turning in bed, until I finally got up and did the quickest, most improvised eco printing ever.
I had some ATC-sized lucite pieces, and decided to use those for my outer pieces to hold everything in place. That would be a pretty small accordian book, but hey, this was a quickie project! I tore some paper into a long stip (I think it might be Artistico, hot press). For leaves, I dug around in the back of my bathroom cabinet under the sink and found some old (and I do mean old) bags of potpourri. I picked out some of the smallest and darkest leaves. I sprayed my paper with the suggested mix of half water and half vinegar. I laid leaves on the paper, folding the accordion as I went and holding it in place. Then I clamped the paper together with the lucite on the outside.