Then I noticed something. Remember the memo cubes I talked about? They looked like they had flower stems. If only I could plant my paper flowers on those memo cubes.
So, I played around with different ideas, and finally simply used black wire. I poked one end into the back of the flower, and used a smaller piece of wire to wrap the flower stem to the memo cube "stem". Then I thought the flower would look even better with a bead of some kind on the end of the wire that came out through the center of the flower. When I was rummaging for some beads, I came across the typewriter keys brads with prongs on the back. They are not even attached to the flowers, I just jabbed them into the center. The prongs went in between the folds of the paper, and everything held together.
Now I am resting my brain for awhile after growing a crop of paper flowers...
(The Rag & Bone blog has 3 links to instructions for making the flowers. I used the instructions at Folding Trees.)