Thursday, October 8, 2009

Scrambled Indicia


Speaking of secret messages... Do you have your official U.S. Postal Service stamp decoder? If not, I don't think they sell them anymore. I got mine many years ago, and even the staff at my post office didn't know about them at the time. I wish the USPS had pursued this more and made more stamps with "secret images". The official technology is called "scrambled indicia" - not that I would know that myself, but it's printed inside the card that came with the decoder.

I tried to take some pictures, but it is really hard to get it to show up on the photo. The priority mail stamp with the space shuttle on it has hidden names of all the space shuttles in the background, not visible without the decoder.





The Houdini stamp reveals chains around his body, which was one of his magician tricks when he was alive. Can you see it?






So, that's my fun for the day. I have been working on some catch-up projects, plus regular work stuff, but nothing I have pictures of.


Since it is fall fix-up time, maybe you'd like to be entertained by There I Fixed It. I don't know about you, but some of this scares me. I would like to think some of these are altered photos, but no, these are real "fixes" people have done. I went through a lot of the older posts, and honestly I don't know whether to laugh or cry!

Patience is a virtue.

2 comments:

Mike M. said...

I have a decoder - it was fun for about 15 seconds.

More fun than the trip to the post office though.

-Mark said...

Here is a website dedicated to stamps with scrambled indicia:

http://www.hiddenimagestamps.info/