Thursday, October 27, 2016

Candy Corn Research

I've had a lot of fun playing in my small Moleskine journal lately.  I have to admit, I have been influenced and inspired by Jose Naranja.  Such finely detailed entries in what he calls his notebooks, because he notes a lot of things in there.

I've had this small journal for several years, in fact I think it is the first Moleskine I ever bought.  A few pages even have something on them. Some have sketches so horrible I will not even show them.  Early on, I had numbered a few pages and drew a line around the page, but there's nothing else on there.  But really, everything looks better with a line or circle around it, right?
The first double page spread I did when I got this journal out again was just playing around.  I picked up whatever way nearby, which happened to be vintage postage, with stencils and scraps.  I also wanted some words on the page, but didn't want to "journal".  I had some odd book pages laying around and copied some text from them about earth and seas.  None of it really means anything, just filling up the space and having fun with it.
My next double page spread was about Security.  Security envelope patterns.  Again, what to put on the page?  I tried to find some copyright information about security envelopes but didn't find exactly what I was looking for.  I found other patent applications, and picked one with a lot of detail about other types of envelopes.  I wrote parts of it by hand on the page, using blue pens.

I got ready to start a new spread and decided to research candy corn.  Found a couple of things to copy, along with some illustrations.  Stamped some test tubes (and didn't even notice one had a spider on it until I just looked at the picture here!)  I can't vouch for the accuracy of any of the information, but it filled the page and I had fun.  I'm liking my little book now.

No comments: