Sunday, May 2, 2010

Circle of Life

Dot asked if I used freehand or a stencil to paint the circles for my samples of the fluid acrylics.  I used a circle template (about one inch in diameter) to pencil in circles all over the page, then painted them in.  Even so, they are not "perfect" circles after painted, that's for sure!  But it WAS like coloring in a coloring book, so that made it fun! 

More circles...
Then Dot mentioned something about making samples of clay blends -- oh what memories that brought back for me, and I went in search of some of those I started way back when.

I had such fun using translucent polymer clay, adding all kinds of stuff to it, cutting and baking little circles to put in my sample book.  I think I used the removable center part of a donut/biscuit cutter to cut the circles.

I see that those were dated 2000... ten years ago!  My how time flies.  My sample book also contained slices from jelly rolls and checkerboards I had made.  If I had no other hobbies, polymer clay might be my thing.  I love to knead it, squish it, form it, blend it, make rolls and squares.  But I don't think I've played with it in years.  I tore these pages out of that book and used the book for something else a long time ago.  But I kept these pages, I guess because I had invested so much time in them!

More circles....

I've been collecting things to use for stencils with spray painting.  Can you guess what these are?

Paper plate holders.  What a bargain at the dollar store - a pack of 4 for $1.  Can't beat it!


I am definitely on some kind of circular path in my life.  No wonder I never seem to get anywhere!!!

10 comments:

paula:) said...

THOSE are great Pat. They remind me of lilly pads for some reason. You need some stencils from The Crafters Workshop. Oh yummy they are to die for.

Dot said...

Pat, I'm so impressed...you take one idea and take it to the enth (is that a word) degree. It's great! Every time I think about starting a blog, I look at your and decide to wait a bit. I'm not nearly as prolific as you are, and at this point, most of my input would be stuff I've done years ago. I really liked your large circle of clay...mine will probably be more like little dots 1/4" just to show the color and not take up space in the book...but who knows...I might just change my mind.

gaye said...

You always have loved circles. I can remember you buying all those circular stamps. Love the paper plate holders. Gotta have some.

Viki said...

Love this and your cicular path comment is echoed here so many times!
I think I'll stop by the Dollar Tree today.

jan b. said...

Love the paper plate holder circles!!! Don't ya know what I'll be looking for now?!

rod classmate, jan in ohio

effie said...

PAPER PLATE HOLDERS!!! EUREKA! they make such great stencils!!!

Laura Kay said...

So cool!! Thanks for sharing your thrifty find!!!

Barbara Hagerty said...

I love your blog--and I'm a chart-maker, too! I'm going right out to see if I can find some paper plate holders at the dollar store! What a great idea! If you can find them, the old plastic doilies make great stencils, too. They are hard to find since they are the things that usually get thrown out instead of making it to a second hand store, but if you can get them, they make great stencils, like lace.

letterlady said...

Pat, I did a long Art Kerfuffle catch-up today, and loved it as always. I join the crowd in making a beeline to the dollar store. And I have used plastic doilies and lace for stencils too. They're great! What kind of spray paint are you using? Is it enamel or water based? I've never used water based spray. Have tried watercolor in a spray bottle with so-so results.

letterlady said...

Phooey! I went to Dollar Tree at lunch and there were no paper plate holders. I bought other non-necessities though. Will keep my eyes peeled for those big circles!