Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Listen to the Monkey


Yes, let's play!

I always do what the monkey tells me.  Especially if he has a patch over his eye and needs a shave.  And I really take him seriously if he is accompanied by a yellow rabbit wearing a bowtie, a cape and a toupee...

So.  I had a sudden urge to spray paint some white paint onto white bristol board and see if it would act as a resist.  So I sprayed some white circles and let that dry (not available for photo).

Then I sprayed some water based blue over it and used a can of compressed air to try to move the blue over the white circles.  I immediately became distracted making little tendrils all over the page. 

Okay, back to the task at hand.  I wasn't seeing the circles pop out with the blue, so I got a stamp pad out and rubbed it over the circles.  Still not much happening, so I used a paper towel to try to spread out the stamp pad ink.  Then I spritzed the brown stamp pad ink with water and rubbed (scrubbed) again with the paper towel.  Now the white circles popped out. 

I'm crazy about this for some reason.  And thus lies a constant problem with me.  I usually like my backgrounds so much I don't want to write on them, collage on them or do anything else.  I may just hang it on the wall and look at it until I get tired of it.  Or until the outlaw monkeys come and take me away.

1 comment:

Viki said...

I have the same problem. I sometimes love my backgrounds too much to do anything other than stare at them.
I was taking some classes with Kelly Kilmer last year and I just hated covering some of the painted backgrounds with pictures and words. Although when I did, they still looked amazing.

You keep finding things at your discount and dollar stores that I just am not seeing in mine.
I'm keeping my eyes open though.